We’ve witnessed and we are still witnessing how mother Earth is suffering today. Sadly, aside from natural events, man-made ones have had the biggest impact on the planet’s unpleasant condition.
People are not unaware of this. From simple environmental movements such as waste segregation to the establishment of eco-friendly houses, there has been a rise of environmental movements coming from environmentalist groups, organizations, companies, etc. in order to address the problems which the world is facing.
And although not so well-known, the printing industry also has their own green movement. Basically, this is because the process of printing actually contributes a lot to the damage of Earth’s condition; in fact, printers actually leave their own ecological footprints. To make up for this, the printing industry has turned to Green Printing.
What is Green Printing?
Just like alternative natural medicine, we also have an alternative type of printing. From the name itself, green printing refers to a way of printing which is more friendly to the environment. Here, the process of reusing, reducing, and recycling are utilized to lower the resources used for printing. Green printing involves the use of low volatile organic compound inks, papers which are recycled, computers that are energy-efficient, re-manufactured toners for laser printers, etc.
Eco-Friendly Tips in Printing
You can also play part in this Green Printing movement at home by following these eco-friendly tips in printing below.
- Make use of sustainable materials as printing surfaces; in other words, go for printing on Tyvek materials or recycled papers.
- As for papers, make sure you print on both sides of the paper (here, you are recycling)
- If you wish to purchase a printer, go for energy-efficient ones (these actually exist). Most of these printers have an automatic sleep-mode whenever it is not in use. Moreover, check the printer of your choice and see if there are any recyclable/green features on it. The greener the better.
- Go for printers that have inherent double-printing features.
- Make use of inks that are low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as soy-based inks which produce lower VOCs but still preserves the quality of the printed image.
- If you can, make use of recycled printer cartridges. Refill the cartridges instead of buying a brand new one.
The Importance of Green Printing
Printing is one of the many trivial things we do which really does not induce us to think about the environmental impact it has on the Earth. In all honesty, not many people are well aware of consequences that usual daily activities, such as printing, bring in.
Students as well as office workers do not really take the initiative of going green in the printing processes and that is probably because they lack the knowledge as well as the resources that are necessary to pursue a much more environmentalist printing strategy.
Thus, it is very important for the printing industry to inform their clients about the Green Printing movement. Printing customers, as well, must play their part in taking the effort of going green in their office or school work.